Allan J. Kimmel is Professor of Marketing at ESCP Europe in Paris. ESCP Europe is a French "grande ecole" and one of the top-ranked business schools in Europe. Dr. Kimmel has filled visiting professor positions at Université Paris IX-Dauphine (Paris) and ESSEC Business School (Cergy-Pontoise, France), and has served as a visiting lecturer at TEC de Monterrey (Mexico), Universidad de San Andrés (Buenos Aires, Argentina), Turku School of Economics (Finland), and the University of Vaasa (Finland). He has research and writing interests in marketing and research ethics, deception, consumer behavior, rumor, marketing 2.0, connected marketing and word of mouth, and marketing communication, and has published extensively in these areas. His recent books include Connecting With Consumers: Marketing for New Marketplace Realities (Oxford University Press, 2010) and The Psychological Foundations of Marketing (Psychology Press/Taylor & Francis/Routledge, 2012). Kimmel has edited special issues of the journals Psychology & Marketing and the Journal of Marketing Communication. He is an ad hoc reviewer for several research journals and currently serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Marketing Communications and the Open Ethics Journal.
- Applied Social Psychology
- Attitudes and Beliefs
- Communication, Language
- Ethics and Morality
- Research Methods, Assessment
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Kimmel, A. J. (Ed.). (2005). Marketing communication: New approaches, technologies, and styles. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Kimmel, A. J. (2012). Psychological foundations of marketing. New York/London: Routledge.
- Kimmel, A. J. (2010). Connecting with consumers: Marketing for new marketplace realities. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
- Kimmel, A. J. (2007). Ethical issues in behavioral research: Basic and applied perspectives (2nd ed.). Cambridge, MA: Blackwell.
- Kimmel, A. J. (2004). Rumors and rumor control: A manager’s guide to understanding and combatting rumors. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Publishers.
- Kimmel, A. J. (1988). Ethics and values in applied social research. Newbury Park, CA: Sage.
Kimmel, A. J. & Kitchen, P. J. (2014). Word of Mouth and Social Media. New York: Routlledge.
- Linked image: WOM book cover
- Kimmel, A. J. (2004). Rumors and the financial marketplace. Journal of Behavioral Finance, 5, 232-239.
- Kimmel, A. J. (2001). Ethical trends in marketing and psychological research. Ethics & Behavior, 11, 131-149.
- Kimmel, A. J. (1998). In defense of deception. American Psychologist, 53, 803-805.
- Kimmel, A. J., & Smith, N. C. (2001). Deception in marketing research: Ethical, methodological, and disciplinary implications. Psychology and Marketing, 18, 663-689.
- Smith, N. C., Kimmel, A. J., & Klein, J. G. (2009). Social contract theory and the ethics of deception in consumer research. Journal of Consumer Psychology, 19, 486-496.
- Kimmel, A. J. (2010). The psychological basis of marketing. In M. J. Baker & M. Saren (Eds.), Marketing Theory (2nd ed., pp. 121-144). Thomson Learning.
- Kimmel, A. J. (2005). From artifacts to ethics: The delicate balance between methodological and moral concerns in research. In D. Hantula (Ed.), Advances in Theory & Methodology in Social & Organizational Psychology. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Publishers.
- Kimmel, A. J. (2003). Ethical issues in social psychology research. In C. Sansone, C. C. Morf, & A. T. Panter (Eds.), The Sage Handbook of Methods in Social Psychology (pp. 45-70). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Kimmel, A. J. (1999). Consumer behavior exercises that really work. Teaching of Psychology, 26, 203-206.
- Rosnow, R. L., & Kimmel, A. J. (2000). Rumor. In A. E. Kazdin (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Psychology (Vol. 7, pp. 122-123). New York: Oxford University Press and American Psychological Association.
- Consumer Behavior
- Fundamentals of Marketing
- Marketing Communication
- Marketing Ethics
- Marketing Research
- Seminar in Attitudes and Attitude Measurement
Allan J. Kimmel
79, Avenue de la République
- Phone: +33 1 49 23 21 13
- Fax: +33 1 49 23 22 48